Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Getting Organized

Space.  Time.  2 things everyone would like more of.  I'm one of them.  I have a small house and am starting my business in a small galley kitchen.  Which means organization is a necessity.  Still working on fine tuning but I'm discovering different things that, though minor, I feel help me quite a lot.

First, I wear an apron.  Gets me in the baking mindset and prevents me ruining my clothes.  And I tend to use it like a towel, which means I don't have to keep finding the towel I leave in a different spot every time I use it. 

I stole Rachel Ray's idea of a garbage bowl.  It may take up a little counterspace and be an extra dish to wash, but I'm not walking back and forth to the garbage, or pulling the garbage next to me.  Nothing like baking next to an open garbage can....so I avoid that. 

I love my ice cream scoop.  Not only does it make consistent cupcakes quickly, (I have a small one for mini cupcakes) it helps me split my batter for cakes evenly between multiple cake pans. 

We just made our investment  in a stand mixer.  It actually is surprising how much time that saves, and even though it's larger, somehow I feel like I'm using less space.  I LOVE it!  It makes me feel a little more official than my hand mixer as well. 

Things I have left to organize-purchasing my ingredients.  I'm tending to buy as I need, which means I'm going to the store a lot (and I loathe grocery shopping).  I'm still not used to using the amounts of these products.  Normally baking powder, flour, cocoa and sugar would last a long time, now...not so much.  Need to figure out storage solutions for the bigger bags I'm buying and get stocked up. 

It's a fun adventure!  I'm so excited!  Now, to entertain my child until the next cake is ready to come out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment