Sunday, January 23, 2011

Not so Vanilla

Okay...it's vanilla.  But it'll be homemade vanilla.  Real vanilla extract is kind of expensive and I read on another blog about how to make your own...and it's so easy. 

1.  Find/purchase bottle of liquor.
           Vodka is recommended as it doesn't have much flavor. 
           I had rum and Bakon vodka, so I went
           with that.  Plain vodka has been added to the grocery list.
2.  Find/purchase vanilla beans. 
            I went through http://www.beanilla.com/ for my vanilla beans. 
            It was much less expensive than
            buying locally, even with shipping.



3. Slit vanilla beans, add to liquor.
 

4. Shake it once a week, it will keep getting stronger the longer you wait.
           
And to make more, just add more liquor to that bottle. 













I also poured some sugar over a slit vanilla bean to make vanilla sugar.  And same deal, I will just continue to add sugar to the vanilla bean jar as I use it.

Now I'm suspecting your wondering why the vodka says Bakon and why I want to purchase 'plain vodka'.

Yep...Bacon flavored vodka...premium even.  And what, pray tell, would I use bacon-ish vanilla for? 

I will let you know as soon as I figure it out....

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, you use it for making whatever else you're baking AWESOME! What couldn't use a shot of bacon-vanilla flavoring?

    Tinker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and informative blog. All those who understand and appreciate the sweetness of Fondant, we have a variety of collections of Fondant cakes in Indore.

    ReplyDelete